The WA Horticultural Council Inc is made up of delegates representing the majority of non-commercial horticultural bodies based in WA. In effect, the Council is the collective voice of these bodies. Membership is available to any garden club or gardening organisation. Individual membership is not available.
Our primary objectives are to:
- Promote, encourage and assist the development of non-commercial horticulture within the State of Western Australia, and
- Promote, encourage and assist the formation of horticultural bodies and their affiliation with Council.
We achieve our aims by:
- Providing advice and guidelines on conducting shows, including show schedules and regulations
- Authorising affiliates to conduct State and District Championships and other award,s and ratifying the appointment of judges officiating at such events
- Approving and maintaining a register of general and specialist horticultural judges
- Conducting two Garden Clubs & Societies Plant Fairs each year (end February & mid September)
- Providing affiliates with advice on such other horticultural matters as may be required from time to time
- Web site promotion of members and their events.
Membership of Council offers affiliates:
- The right to participate in the decision making process through their delegates attending meetings
- Copies of minutes are sent to all affiliated society members via their secretaries
- A quarterly news sheet called “Garden Cuttings” which outlines coming events and other relevant horticultural news
- Networking opportunities with other horticulturally minded persons
- The opportunity to provide input to Council’s Standards and Classifications of genera published in the West Australian Gardener’s Handbook
- Printed exhibitor slips for use at shows, and
- The opportunity to participate in two annual plant sales.
All this for an annual membership of $33 (due 1 January each year).
Organisations seeking affiliation are asked to contact the executive officer for a membership application.
Additionally, new laws have been passed which are aimed at helping incorporated associations in WA operate more efficiently by providing them with a clearer framework in which to operate. The new law came into effect on 1 July 2016. Further details can be obtained from: www.commerce.wa.gov.au/associations or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 1300 30 40 74.
The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission’s website is: www.charity.acnc.gov.au